St. Thomas Aquinas Primary School was founded and established by the Dominican Sisters in 1956. It was initially meant for the education of Catholic boys. The sisters opted to withdraw from the school in 1979. In the same year, the school was purchased by the Catholic Bishop of Bulawayo. A lay head and stuff have run the school ever since. It was decided after some time to enrol girl students as well. The school is now a co-education institution catering for approximately 240 children. The school is administered by a Board of Governors (all Catholic laymen and women) appointed by the Archbishop of Bulawayo. The Achbishop of Bulawayo is himself an official member of the board.